In my previous blog “31 Days To An Organized Home,” one of the first areas that I suggest tackling is the linen closet. Since it’s definitely time to reorganize my linens, I thought I’d go over this one today.
We aren’t all blessed with enormous amounts of storage space in our homes or a giant storage closet in each bathroom so some linen closets or cupboards are bound to be a little more multi-purpose or cluttered than others.
1. Start by taking everything out of the closet. This will help you do a quick inventory and you might even decide to get rid of some of the old ratty towels you’ve been hanging onto for much too long.
2. As you take the items out, place them in piles of “like” things together.
3. If your closet doesn’t already have sturdy shelves, now is the time to install them or have a home improvement expert come make some built-in cabinets. Generally, having shelves placed 10-12” apart is ideal but you may want to leave one area for slightly taller things. Also, make sure there is enough room for air to circulate between shelves.
4. As you put the linens back in the closet, you can use the topmost shelf for out of season or rarely used items and keep the every day items like hand towels at a an easy-to-reach level. Heavier items can be placed in large baskets on the floor, under the first shelf.
5. Choose an organization style that works for you: by room (master bathroom, for example) or by type (bath towels) and make sure that everything goes back into the closet neatly folded and stacked. If you find that your stacks are toppling over, you may want to invest in dividers or cloth or woven baskets to tuck them into.
6. Finally, for added organization and to make sure everyone in the family follows the plan, affix labels onto the shelves and baskets. There are plenty of organizational products on the market that can help you stay organized, too. Things like small racks and rods can be hung from the back of the door and there are vacuum-sealed storage bags for compacting bulky items. It’s up to you to decide what you need.
Home organization and home remodeling often go hand in hand. If you realize during your organization challenge that you need to make some improvements to your abode, don’t hesitate to call in a professional home builder or remodeler who can help you make the changes you need.
Inspiration for this blog came from: Style At Home
Don’t forget to follow my-home-improvement.com on Pinterest and Twitter or like us on Facebook for more home improvement tips and inspiration for both indoors and out.