Adding color to your home doesn’t have to be a huge undertaking. Here are some simple, and not so simple, ways to add color and take your place from boring and neutral to colorful and breathtaking.
1. Paint the floor. Old wood floors that need to be redone can be repainted in fun colors or patterns. In the basement, concrete floors are crying out to be painted to brighten up an otherwise dark space. Depending on the size of the room, this can be a bit of a commitment so you might want to call in a professional painting company to make sure it is done right.
2. Make your front entry more welcoming by painting the front door or by adding a stained glass window.
3. Paint or wallpaper the inside of a bookshelf or built-in wall unit. This will give it more presence and importance.
4. Not quite ready to commit to wallpaper? Try removable wallpaper or frame a large piece of vintage wallpaper in a dramatic frame. For a more contemporary look, you can staple funky fabrics onto large canvases and hang them as a grouping.
5. Painting flea market furniture finds like side tables or dressers in a lacquer finish in the color of your choice will give you a pop of color without the worry of destroying a piece with sentimental value. You can also shop in globally inspired markets where the colors are often vibrant.
6. In the bathroom, have an older tub refinished using a bold color on the outside of the tub.
7. Tried and true: you can’t go wrong with colorful or patterned textiles. From curtains, to area rugs, and ever-popular throw cushions, this is a simple, and often inexpensive, way to add color to a neutral space.
Don’t forget to follow my-home-improvement.com on Pinterest and Twitter or like us on Facebook for more home improvement tips and inspiration for both indoors and out.