Ok, I know it’s only August and there are many parts of the country where summer is still scorching hot but I always like to look at my list of DIY home improvements for fall at the about this time of year to get me thinking and planning.
Fall is the perfect time of year to build a deck or patio: it’s not too hot, the days are still long and you don’t have the pressures of all of the spring season chores and projects.
There are, of course, a multitude of landscape materials to choose from when building a deck or patio. Everything from cedar and other hardwoods, composite decking materials, pressure treated pine, stained or stamped concrete, stone, brick and even salvaged materials can be used. It’s up to you to decide on the type of materials, but here are some considerations:
• How well does the material suit your home’s exterior?
• How well does the material blend in with your existing landscaping features?
• What is your budget and which materials fall within that budget?
• Will this be a DIY project or will you be hiring professionals? Some materials lend themselves better to DIY construction than others (think flagstone vs. concrete patios).
• How much yearly maintenance are you willing to do? Certain materials are virtually maintenance free (composite) and others need regular upkeep (painted or stained wood).
Selecting the right materials for your new deck or patio is just the first step. You’ll still need to design the layout and consider any of the other amenities that you want to add such as a stone fireplace, heaters, lighting, seating and planters. Now is the perfect time to get started so that you can enjoy your patio late into the fall season and it will be ready and waiting for you come spring.
Related blog post: Composite Decking – Low-Maintenance and Eco-Friendly and Heat Up Your Deck or Patio
Don’t forget to follow my-home-improvement.com on Pinterest and Twitter or like us on Facebook for more home improvement tips and inspiration for both indoors and out.