The top twelve elements to an organized and welcoming foyer, according to Cara Greenberg of houselogic are:
1. Wall Color – a washable high-gloss paint in a bold color.
2. Easy-clean flooring – be sure the flooring in the entry blends well with the adjacent room.
3. Room divider – for those entryways that aren’t clearly delineated.
4. Boot tray – to keep the floors clean and the jumble of footwear in one location.
5. Bench – for sitting and for extra storage.
6. Key rack – no more rushing around trying to find misplaced keys as you head out the door.
7. Coat hooks and shelves – keep the everyday items on the hooks and use racks for hats, helmets and extra handbags. Make the most of all the vertical space but keep the visual clutter to a minimum.
8. Umbrella stand – for those who live in a rainy climate.
9. Table or console – if you have the space a narrow table or console can be both decorative and practical.
10. Lockers or cubbies – these are extremely popular in mudrooms and foyers at the moment and are a great way to give each family member their own space.
11. Mirror – hang a mirror for last-minute checks on the way out the door and to add more light to the space.
12. Good lighting – ensure your entrance is safe and welcoming with proper lighting design.
Whether a home improvement to your foyer simply means a little tweaking or you’re in the midst of serious home remodeling, creating an organized, functional and inviting space is the key to a great entryway.
Related article: A Mudroom To Get Your Kids Out the Door
For more home improvement tips and inspiration, you can follow my-home-improvement.com on Pinterest and Twitter or Facebook.