- Create a colorful front door. You can prime and paint the door yourself or for a more resilient finish, bring it into an automotive shop and have it sprayed. Red and blue are both popular choices but don’t let that limit you, choose a color that you like and that feels welcoming and positive to you.
- Be bold in the bathroom. While bathrooms are traditionally done in neutral colors, there are no set rules about this. In fact, a bold bathroom color or pattern can be achieved through the use of paint, wallpaper, tile, textiles or simply accessories.
- Install a tile backsplash in the kitchen. There are so many beautiful backsplash tiles to choose from, you can use natural stone in earthy tones or even iridescent recycled glass tiles or anything in between. This is definitely a project for the seasoned do-it-yourself homeowner or you could hire a local home improvement expert to do it for you.
- Hang a chandelier in the master bedroom. Chandeliers are being used in unexpected places these days. Hanging a beautiful new light fixture in your bedroom is an excellent way to add some sparkle and update your personal sanctuary. Don’t forget the dimmer switch.
- Build a porch. Okay, so the addition of a porch isn’t exactly a simple DIY weekend project, but I really love a screened in porch on a summer evening so I had to include it in this list. You should probably call in the pros for this one. A general contractor will be able to build a porch that allows you to extend your living area outdoors. While you’re at it, don’t forget to add a porch swing or a hammock to relax in.
- Create a reading nook. Find an area that feels as though it has some wasted space (upstairs landing, master bedroom, in front of a bay window) add some comfy seating, cushions, a reading lamp and a little side table on which you can set your book and tea. Voila! Instant reading nook.
- Use textiles creatively. We live in a world of hard edges and solid surfaces; home should be a place of comfort and warmth. Use textiles in your home to add color and texture as well as to soften things up.
- Paint. We can’t forget the instant gratification that comes from applying a fresh coat of paint.
What is your one true love when it comes it home improvements? Tell us about it in the comments section below.