1. Set a renovation budget and spend your money wisely. A major bathroom renovation is not one that you will redo every couple of years so choosing good quality, timeless features is important.
2. Choose durable flooring that can withstand moisture and heavy use. Ceramic and natural stone tiles are excellent options, as are well-sealed hardwood or cork. If you are using tile, consider having an infloor heating system installed at the same time. Your toes with thank you!
3. Ensure that there is enough light in the bathroom. I cannot say this often enough: good bathroom lighting is essential. Combine overhead lighting (fixture or pot lights) with sconces either flanking the mirror or above it, to reduce shadows. Adding dimmer switches in the bathroom makes those early morning visits much more pleasant.
4. Include plenty of storage space. Storage space in the bathroom can include medicine cabinets, shelving, vanities, recessed cabinets and niches or even repurposed furniture. Rarely have I ever heard someone say “there is too much storage space in my bathroom,” so don’t scrounge on this key element during your remodeling.
5. Choose a bathtub and shower to suit your needs and your personal aesthetic. If you can, have a custom shower built especially for you so that you can choose every last detail. Consider little luxuries like a bench, a steam shower or a rain showerhead.
6. When selecting a bathtub, try sitting in it in the showroom. This will help you determine the right length, depth and shape for you.
7. Green tip: installing a dual flush toilet and low-flow showerhead and faucet can cut back on your water consumption and reduce your utility bills. These simple eco-friendly choices will not make a difference in your bathing experience but they can make a difference as far as your environmental impact goes.
8. Talk to your home improvement expert or your bathroom remodeler before your renovation starts and find out what tips they have to offer based on their years of experience.
Have you remodeled your bathroom? Share your tips with our readers in the comments section below.