It’s a cold and blustery day here and we thought this would be a good time to sit back and take a little pop quiz to test your home improvement knowledge. So hang up your tool belt, pour yourself a cup of hot tea (or your beverage of choice) and have a little lighthearted fun!
1. When renovating a home, you will get the biggest return on investment in resale from upgrades to:
a) the mudroom
b) the guest bedroom
c) the kitchen
2. HVAC stands for:
a) Hot Vehicle Air Conditioning
b) Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning
c) Heating Ventilation And Carpets
3. Which of the following is not a health concern in the home:
c) Mineral oil
4. Basement waterproofing can help prevent:
b) insect infestations
c) basement flooding
d) all of the above
5. It is recommended that you use river rock when building a fire pit.
6. When building a home library for a book collection, high humidity is:
a) desired to help preserve the books
b) can lead to mold and insect problems
7. Which of the following does not help keep your basement dry:
a) foundation repair
b) installing a sump pump
c) keeping your roof’s gutters clean
d) raking the yard
8. Which of the following is not an eco-friendly energy saver:
b) occupancy sensor
c) programmable thermostat
d) lighting timer
1.b) The greatest return on investment when it comes to resale value is to be made by renovating the kitchen and bathrooms.
2.b) Heating, ventilation and air conditioning
3.c) Among its many uses, mineral oil is used to polish surfaces such as soapstone or butcher block countertops.
4.d) – All of the above can be prevented by proper professional basement waterproofing.
5.b) – You should NEVER use river rock around fire pits and other intense sources of heat as the stones can explode.
6.b) Humidity can be a serious concern for those with rare, older books as mold can easily set in and insects can destroy the pages.
7.d) Raking the yard will keep it looking nice but has nothing to do with water seepage into the basement.
8.a) Sensors and timers are great ways to reduce your energy consumption for indoor and outdoor lighting and a programmable thermostat allows you to reduce energy use on your heating and air conditioning.