Design & Style
• Design your pond or water feature to suit your setting. For example, a rustic stone waterfall would fit naturally in a sloped wooded area whilst a geometric concrete pond with a dramatic fountain would suit a contemporary backyard lounge.
• If stones, waterfalls and water lilies just aren’t your thing, don’t despair. There are loads of beautiful modern water features available today from whimsical fountains to modern waterfalls and water-walls.
• If you live in a condo with a balcony or have a small patio, you can create a small water garden in your favorite container.
• If your pond has different depths, you can choose a wider variety of plants. Ideally, a pond should have oxygenators, aquatic plants, marginals and bog plants.
• Choose your plants based on color, height and seasonal interest.
• If your pond is more contemporary, choose plants with strong architectural presence, no need for fussiness.
• Miniature or pygmy plants are recommended for tiny ponds or container water gardens.
You’ll want to be sure that there is seating near your pond so that you can enjoy it to its fullest. In some cases, a pond might be right next to your deck so no additional seating would be required. In other situations, the pond might tucked away in the garden, in which case you would want to add a garden bench or maybe even a pergola to create more emphasis on the area.
Flowing or Still Water?
Still- water ponds are used for their reflective qualities and impart a sense of tranquility. However, it is worth noting that if your container water garden or pond has no water movement at all, you will be more likely to have problems with algae and insects. Standing water is the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes, meaning that your yard will be anything but tranquil once those bugs hatch.
A small recirculating pump can help solve the problem or you can place a small fountain in your pond. Another option is to add some fish, but if you add fish you’ll also need a filter to clean the water. A plumber can help you install the appropriate fittings, filters and pumps if you are unsure about how this should be done.
In a noisy city setting, adding a water feature with flowing or running water helps to drown out the noise of traffic and passersby. Waterfalls and fountains provide soothing sounds so you can sit back and enjoy your backyard without distraction.
If you want to create a beautiful focal point in your backyard, adding a water feature can create a strong impact. For more information and tips on the installation of a pond or other water feature, talk to your local home improvement expert, landscape designer or plumber.
Feel free to leave a comment below telling us about your backyard water feature.