Do you love the look and feel of a log cabin but aren’t in a position to custom build a complete log home at the moment? Why not add accents to your normal home to give it that rustic and cozy log cabin feeling? Professional log home builders can bring the essence of a log cabin into your home by adding just a few important details during your next home improvement project.
Here are a few ideas to help you add log home elements to your current home. Pick and choose the ones that will work best with the existing details of your home.
• If your ceilings are high enough, use half log beams across the ceiling.
• Incorporate large logs as pillars or columns to add vertical interest to the room.
• Use natural wood flooring with big cozy area rugs.
• Turn your regular staircase into a showpiece by replacing it with log stairs, posts and railings.
• Want to make a basement family room feel more like a rustic cabin? You can cover the walls or ceiling with pine tongue and groove siding
• No log home is complete without a fireplace or wood stove. Install a large stone fireplace with a wooden mantle for an authentic log cabin feel.
• The effect of the log cabin details can be overwhelming if you aren’t careful, so try to keep your other materials neutral and choose a nature-inspired color scheme. Earthy tones like browns, greens and rusty oranges or yellows are good choices.
• Furnishings such as couches, tables or even bed frames made out of carved wood or sticks can also add to your log home style.
If your home’s exterior style lends itself to adding log home elements, you can even add details outside.
• Start with a large lodge-style front door to welcome your visitors.
• Continue with the same theme using large, lodge-style lighting fixtures on either side of the door or hanging above it.
• A rustic front porch that wraps around part of your home would finish off the look perfectly.
By paying attention to details during your next home renovation, you can easily add authentic log home style and comfort to your current home without the expense of custom building a new home and without having to move to the Adirondacks. I can hear the crackle of the fire as we speak.
For more information on adding log home detail additions to your house, talk to your local log home builders or home improvement expert.
If you enjoyed reading this blog post, you may also like Great Camp Style.