Sometimes a house needs a complete renovation, but other times it may just need some simple cosmetic work to make it live up to its full potential. Here are a few ideas for straightforward and fun home improvement projects that you can complete without breaking the bank.
1) Paint your walls. A coat or two of paint and a few new accessories are a great decorative makeover for any room at very little cost. All you need is primer, a gallon of paint, some painter’s tape, a brush and roller and you’re on your way to a completely fresh, new look. Generally speaking one gallon of paint will cover anywhere from 350-450 square feet of surface area, depending on the brand. Remember to paint the trim (window and door casings, molding and baseboards) or it will look dingy next to your freshly painted walls.
2) Create your own art. Often we get caught up in the bones of a project and forget the finishing touches. A freshly painted wall is a blank canvas calling out for art or personal photographs. There are all sorts of crafty project ideas out there such as putting mementos in a shadow box, framing your kids’ art projects, or finally displaying your beautiful travel photos. Let your imagination run free and see what personal touches art can bring into your home.
3) Build a playroom or playhouse. Any project that involves decorating or building for, or with, kids is inherently fun! Bright colors, interesting shapes and resilient surfaces are key to this home improvement project. Why not get your children involved in the project too?
4) Give your kitchen cabinets a facelift. If your cabinets or still in good condition but are looking a little dated, it can be quite simple to bring them up-to-date. In some cases, sanding and painting the doors and replacing knobs and pulls will be enough. In other cases, you may need to replace and reface the doors altogether. A kitchen remodeling expert can help you with this if you prefer not to tackle it on your own.
5) Install a new tile backsplash in your bathroom or kitchen. Tiles are available in a multitude of materials, sizes and colors and can really make a space look professionally finished. With the right tools and materials a seasoned DIYer could take this on but it does take patience and a perfectionist’s touch.
If you look around your house, there are likely lots of little things that you’d like to improve upon. With some time and creativity it is easy to transform your living space into your dream home. If you need ideas or help, talk to your local home improvement or or kitchen and bathroom remodeling expert.