When most of us think of Spring cleaning, we think of putting away winter clothes, organizing our closets and cleaning out the fridge. We might think of cleaning out the gutters on the roof or raking the lawn, but we often forget about the myriad of landscaping chores that need to be tended to.
Here is a checklist to help you get started:
Around the Yard
- Rake the lawn. Consider having it professionally power raked and overseeded or aerated and fertilized by a lawn care company if it needs a boost.
- Remove garden clippings, branches, and street sand from your yard
- Do an insect/pest check around the yard and perimeter of the house
- Clean out the pond pump, refill the pond or fountain
- Bring out and set up outdoor garden furniture, give it a wash with mild soapy water and let it dry in the sun
- Put up bird houses, bird feeders and bird baths
- Clean and set up the grill, have propane tanks filled or change the briquettes
Around the Garden
- Turn the soil in your garden beds; add soil amendments such as compost to improve your soil
- Clean out large containers and pots with warm water and a hard bristle brush; add fresh potting soil
- Trim and prune trees and shrubs. A word of caution here: pruning can be tricky work and timing of pruning varies depending on the species; you may want to consult an arborist or landscaping expert before you start.
- Fertilize your cedar hedge or other shrubs
- Turn the compost heap
- Plan your garden. Will you be planting new shrubs, dividing your favorite perennials or seeding annuals for bursts of color? Will you dedicate an area of your yard to growing your own vegetables or herbs? Do some planning before you head to the local greenhouse to pick up your plants and seeds and you will save time and money.
- Once everything is cleaned, planned and ready to go, it’s time to get planting.
Start the season off right with a good garden cleanup and you’ll be rewarded with a lush green turf and beautiful flowerbeds to enjoy in no time. If you’re unsure of where to start, consult a lawn care expert in your area.