Are you tired of the look of your kitchen cabinets, but don’t have a lot of extra money to put into them? Well, you can freshen up your kitchen cabinets for an updated look without having to go to the expense of purchasing new cabinets. Try any of the following budget-friendly tips to renew the look of your cabinets.
- Go white. You can’t get fresher than white cabinets. If your cabinets are showing their age, try painting them white. White will definitely brighten up the space. A good rule of thumb to keep in mind when painting your cabinets white is to choose one or two accent colors. Choose one of the shades to paint the kitchen wall surrounding the cabinets, and you can use that same color or another color to fill in with colorful accent pieces throughout the kitchen. A variation on this idea is to use white as a contrast color. If you have very dark cabinets, keep the lower set of cabinets unchanged in the original dark wood and only paint the upper cabinets white. The juxtaposition of the two colors becomes a focal point in your kitchen.
- Take the doors off of a few cabinets. When you take the door off a cabinet, you create a display cabinet that you can use to showcase a collection of colorful pottery, dishes or appliances. When you have an open cabinet, or a cabinet with glass doors, paint the back of the cabinet in a color that either matches or highlights the items you are showcasing to create an eye-catching display.
- Replace a door with a colorful curtain. This trend is popular in Europe, especially in Italy. Often times you will find the lower cabinets have no doors; instead they are covered with curtains made from colorful, feminine fabrics. This could accent a Mediterranean- or country-style kitchen.
- Go for the distressed look. This is a popular look in the home improvement field right now. Distressed cabinets work in a country, natural-look kitchen. Paint your wooden cabinets the color of your choice and when the paint has dried, distress them lightly with a fine gauge of sandpaper. Accent with pottery and your favorite flea-market finds.
- Add some molding. If you’d like to add an accent detail to some plain cabinets, add molding to the top of your cabinets. You’ll need to be good with a miter saw and measure accurately, but the results will be worth it. Or hire a kitchen remodeling company to do the work for you. You’ll still be ahead on the price compared to what it would cost to replace the cabinets.
Get the look of new cabinets without the price tag to match. These home improvements pack a lot of punch for a little investment.