If a kitchen remodeling project is on your home improvement list this year, talk to your contractor to see if a kitchen pantry could make your most wanted list. If you’re lucky enough to have the space to dedicate to this small room off the kitchen, then let’s consider some of the must-haves for this area.
- Pullout shelves. You just can’t beat having pullout shelves for heavy, big, or awkward items like large pans, weighty mixing bowls and kitchen appliances. It makes storing and accessing that gourmet mixer or breadmaker quite a bit easier.
- Open shelves. Open shelves are convenient because they allow you to quickly locate what you need. They are also perfect for displaying any of your collectibles or antiques dishes that you may have.
- Closed storage. Cabinets or shelves with doors are necessary for keeping dust out of food supplies and for storing those items that do better in darkness, like potatoes and grains. It also helps to conceal any messes—especially if you have several “cooks” accessing the pantry.
- Drawers. Drawers are versatile. You can use them for any number of things, and they can be customized to your preferences with inserts. Use them for silverware, a cookie cutter collection, spices, large bags of flour—really whatever you need them to do.
- Hanging storage. Install hooks or a towel rack so that you can store your extra aprons or hang your table linens.
- Electricity. If you want to install an extra refrigerator or wine cooler, or you plan on using the pantry as food prep space, be sure you include an adequate number of well-placed outlets.
- Desk. If your pantry is especially spacious and includes a window, you may want to think about including a workstation for meal planning and bill paying—or for the kids to do homework while you prepare meals.
- Lighting. Be sure the kitchen remodel of your pantry includes plenty of light. There’s nothing worse than searching for your supplies in a dimly lit pantry.
- Easy care surfaces. Both laminate and granite are easy care and will make cleanup a snap in the pantry.
Clearly, a pantry is a kitchen storage space that will just help make your kitchen chores easier to handle. Put some thought into this kitchen remodel to make the space work for your needs and customize the storage to your lifestyle.