Home improvements have seen many trends come and go over the years, but one trend that is up and coming is the addition of master bedroom suites. These areas of the home can actually be a “home within the home” for couples desiring to create an all-purpose space and a bit of peace in their lives.
Basically, you can make your master bedroom suite as simple or as elaborate as you like. But designers are finding that the current trend is to include everything in this room, making it a mini-home of sorts. This is particularly appealing to couples with older children. The parents have a space to relax in while the kids and their friends are hanging out in the family room or media room. Let’s look at some of the amenities that designers are including in these home additions.
- Drawer-style refrigerators and freezers. Having some snacks stowed away just for Mom and Dad can help ensure that your teen and his gang of friends don’t wipe out your favorite food in one sitting.
- Coffee makers. Your morning cup of coffee or latte is just a step away when you hop out of bed in the morning.
- Washer and dryer. Some master bedroom suites are being fitted with a washer and dryer. This is especially convenient if you have a large family or extended family living with you. You won’t have to worry about waiting in line to get your laundry done.
- Large walk-in closets. Closets designed with shelving, drawers, hanging racks and whatever else your heart desires can help you organize your clothing , shoes and accessories. Getting rid of the clutter can allow you to start your day out in a calm manner.
- Fireplace. Many couples are opting for a private fireplace. This certainly lends a cozy, romantic feel to the room.
- Big screen TV. Having your own TV frees up the family room TV for the kids. A smart option is to enclose the TV behind sliding panels so that it is out of sight when not in use.
- Office space. Many couples are also adding on space in this room for an office. It makes sense to be out of the hustle and bustle of the rest of the house when you need to get some work done.
- Master bath. Again, these can be as elaborate as you want. Spa tubs, rain showers, radiant floor heating and Japanese soaking tubs, whatever you desire, can all be added to your bathroom. Make it a spa-like retreat for you and your spouse to escape in.
If you’re wondering where you’re going to get the space for this, consider a few options. One possibility is to remove a wall and combine the space of a little-used room to make your suite. One couple decided to convert their whole third floor into a master bedroom suite. You may also want to look into the possibility of a home addition.
If you have the resources, creating a retreat for you and your spouse is one trend that just makes sense.