Whoever said, “Good things come in small packages,” had the right idea. Small doesn’t have to mean boring or inefficient, especially when it comes to your living space. If you have a small kitchen in your home or apartment, careful planning and research can pay off in a stylish, functional space when you are remodeling. The following tips may help you get a big return from your small kitchen space.
- When it comes to your cupboards, be creative to make the most of the space that you can. One option is to use double-stacked cupboards. This is just what it sounds like. One cupboard is mounted directly above the other. Keep a stepping stool handy to access the top cupboards.
- Another option is to install drawers on the wall directly beneath your cabinets. These can be especially handy if you don’t have much space for storing towels, utensils and silverware in lower cabinets.
- Make use of utensil hangers, which mount underneath you cabinets or onto the wall for holding some of your larger utensils. You may also want to install one to hold your wine glasses.
- A mirrored backsplash will give the illusion of more space in your kitchen. Just be sure to keep the glass cleaner handy! White paint also brightens up a small space and makes it seem bigger, while darker colors tend to narrow a space.
- When it comes to furniture, purchase a table and chairs with a simple, minimalist design. This is not the place for large, elaborate or fussy pieces. They will overwhelm the room.
- Put some thought into your appliances for your kitchen remodel. When you are tight on kitchen space, you need to make some decisions based on your lifestyle. If you are a foodie who just loves to cook, then the smaller 24” ovens may not work out for you, because they often won’t accommodate some of the larger pans, like pizza pans. If that is the case, you will probably want to purchase a regular 30” oven and sacrifice the space elsewhere—such as in your dishwasher.
- Standard dishwashers are 24”, but don’t despair if you don’t have the space for both an oven and a dishwasher. You have some options. Dishwashers also come in a compact 18” size, which may fit with the larger oven. If your space is severely limited, you can even purchase what is called a countertop or table top dishwasher. These are made to sit on top of the counter next to the sink. They usually have a hose that hooks right up to the faucet on the sink (they also drain into the sink) and will run off the electricity from a standard outlet in the wall.. Of course, you can only wash small loads at a time, but they are handy and will usually fit under the kitchen sink when not in use. You can find these for purchase on Amazon.
You can see that having a small kitchen space doesn’t have to equal dull and boring. Doing your homework and consulting a kitchen remodeling expert when needed will help you live big in your little space.