If a kitchen remodel is in your future for 2010, you many be interested in a recent survey conducted by the National Kitchen & Bath Association. They surveyed designers to see what trends they saw for the coming year. It just might be that you could incorporate a few of these seven trends into your own kitchen this year.
1) First of all, the most popular kitchen design style for 2010 is one that has been around for a while: traditional. It is followed closely by contemporary and Shaker styles. So, it follows then that the popular color choices will be understated colors such as whites, off-whites, brown, beige and bone. This leaves you room to add splashes of color with your kitchen accessories.
2) For kitchen cabinets, cherry remains the wood of choice, followed by maple; alder is also gaining in popularity. Medium natural, dark natural, glazed and white painted will all be common finishes chosen for the cabinetry this year.
3) Hardwoods remain a top choice for kitchen flooring this year in kitchen remodeling projects, followed by ceramic and porcelain tile and natural stone tile. Granite remains the most popular option for countertops, but quartz will just about pull even. Ceramic or porcelain tile and glass will be the top choices for kitchen backsplashes.
4) Designers think that homeowners will choose convenience over the tried and true when it comes to kitchen faucets this year and predict that pull-out faucets will remain popular. They also expect that pot- filler faucets will gain in popularity. The popular faucet finishes will be brushed nickel then stainless steel, satin nickel and polished chrome.
5) As for refrigerators, French door and freezer bottom will be the most popular choices, while side-by-side refrigerators are also a strong contender. A trend to note in refrigeration is that designers are making use of undercounter refrigerator drawers and undercounter wine refrigerators.
6) The cooking range remains the top choice of designers, but a combination of a separate cooktop and wall oven is quickly rising in popularity. Gas continues to dominate electric ranges, although induction cooking is gaining popularity.
7) Finally, an interesting note is that while standard dishwashers remain the norm, more designers are installing dishwasher drawers. They are favored because they can wash small loads of dishes in each drawer, making them more water- and energy efficient.
As you contemplate your kitchen remodel projects for 2010, keep in mind the trends for the year and how you might incorporate them into your plans to make your kitchen an efficient, stylish room for your family to gather.